Thursday, July 12, 2012

Unpopular Culture


Do We Really Need Celebrity News?
            I consider myself the poster child for “Pop Culture.” Yes I am a little older than the teens of today, yet I invite and embellish all that is pop culture. I ride a Harley Davidson, like fashion, have tattoos, grow my hair long, play in a Rock Band and one could say, I’m a bit of a rebel. I have adapted throughout the years and try to stay current on what is “In” these days.  I enjoy the fact that I am an adult who is very much young at heart, but I do have one gripe about today’s icon we refer to as “Celebrity News?”

            
          
                                                                  



  I went to the TMZ’s web site just out of curiosity, holy guacamole what a bunch of garbage. I have seen small portions of their TV program while channel surfing and thought to myself “Do people really buy into this crap?” Unfortunately my friends the sad answer is YES.
What I find most alarming about this is that our children and young adults hang on every word of this celebrity nonsense like it is something holy. Obviously somebody thinks this is important earth shattering news because literally millions of people are tuning in daily for this stuff.
            So the headline for today was “LA Councilman’s 911 call, Justin Bieber drives likea Maniac.” Are you shitting me, I drove in Phoenix today and encountered dozens of people that shouldn’t have a license, they weren’t in TMZ’s news, what makes this little twit so damn special. Then if that wasn’t enough they had “Breaking News,” hold onto your seat… “Madonna sued over Vogue’s Horniness.” Apparently she never paid to make the song “So Damn Horny” according to Vogue, REALLY! This just about made my head split open, my god, poking myself in the eye with a pencil would be less painful than reading one more word of this horseshit.
            So, off I go onto another celebrity search into the world of print and what do I find? Yep, even the Huffington Post has a damn celebrity page, are you kidding me! Yes it’s true, Tom Cruise is still sad over breakup with Katie Holms, Ohhhh poor baby. News flash, millions of people get divorced every day champ, who cares? Oh wait, Lindsay Lohan has spent upwardly around 150,000 on rehab, yet there are children in our very own neighborhoods that go to bed hungry every night. Now for the grand finally, Lady Gaga has a penis. Yep, it’s on YOUTUBE, you can see the video. This crap is like an epidemic of mosquitos at a blood bank, it literally boggles my mind and makes my brain hurt.
          


                                                                   



  I guess the one problem I have with this, as I stated earlier, is the influence this has on the youth of today. Where do you draw the line in the sand on what is important and what is not and how kids eat this stuff up? We as adults have to educate our children and give them the tools to make informed decisions. It is not just something we have to mention to our children, but our duty to our future. I don’t know about the rest of the world, but I want my children to be informed on current events, politics, our community and what is occurring globally. In a society that is so strongly influenced by our pop culture of today we need to be the filter that weeds through some of this nonsense. If we don’t our youth of today will be lead to believe that these are our true concerns and the important news of today, when nothing could be further from the truth.

1 comment:

  1. That my friend is beautifully done. I got so tired of the worthless crap on cable I got rid of it. NO TRUER statement could be said where do we draw the line in the sand, and start educating our children? these days common sense isn't so common.

    ReplyDelete