Sunday, July 1, 2012

"My Love Mark"

 "My Love Mark"

I find it a bit ironic that one of the things listed on the quest directions was "Harley Davidson" since I have been riding motorcycles for over 30 years. Yes, this truly is a love mark of mine. I think this is not only because it's the motorcycle I prefer to ride, but it is a long standing American tradition. Harley Davidson is steeped in America culture and  history for over 100 years. 1903 was the year Harley Davidson introduced their first motorcycles, and boy have we come a long way since then. Harley Davidson has stepped into the present with some of the fastest  drag-bikes  on the racing scene today. This isn't just something enthusiasts of motorcycling  like, they live it, it is it's own culture within itself...



This is the bike I ride,a 2000 Road King with about 28,000 miles on her, I call her "Little Red", yes I did refer to my bike as a "Her", I love her. I started riding mini-bikes when I was about 5 years old and was instantly hooked on the two wheel feeling. I eventually graduated to dirt bikes and then I got the first taste of American made iron when I was about 17 years old, with my first  Sportster.  Over the years I have owned many different motorcycles, including custom choppers and a vast array of other bikes, but I keep returning to my first love, Harley Davidson. There is nothing like the feeling when you are going 80 miles per hour down the freeway, with the wind in your hair and the feeling of complete freedom in your heart. I am a very spiritual person, and when you have that complete feeling while riding, it's about as close as any one person can get to enlightenment. I know it sounds a little over the top, but nothing compares.




Now don't get me wrong, the feeling you get doing 60 mph in a hail storm is a whole new awakening too, and it sucks to say the least. but back on track kids. The love I have for Harley Davidsons is also based on the camaraderie you make with people with the same interests. Oh ya, and  Harley Davidson cloths and leathers  are way cool! I was a benefit and run coordinator for a motorcycle rights group called the  MMA of AZ    which raised thousands of dollars for charity in the 4 years I was in that position. Also motorcycle benefit rides across the country raise millions for needy children to disaster relief.I have been fortunate to meet these find of people all over the country in my travels. There is an old saying, "You will never see a Harley broke down without someone offering to help", it is definitely  a brotherhood.











To me I wouldn't trade "Little Red" for anything. The culture, freedom, friends and the look on children's faces in the hospital when 140 Harleys pull into the hospital with a truck load of toys is invaluable. If there is one culture I can get behind it's this very Harley culture I speak of. We aren't always the prettiest and may be a little rough around the edges and look like rebels (we kinda are) but the Harley Culture will, Live Free and Live Proud!




4 comments:

  1. Nice job Royce, and pics. I can relate with you on your article just with a different company. I grew up riding dirt bikes and crotch rockets and was dedicated to Honda "Free Yourself" motto, and the whole tough enough attitude and get up and do it again saying when riding dirt bikes. You are so right about its a club thing, weekend family is what we called it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! now i feel so lame about how i did on this assignment. you did a great job!! i can definitely tell this is really your lovemark. you made so many connections with your life and i absolutely loovee the pics! good job! keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! I can tell you if I had the time and money I would be on a Harley myself. Who knows maybe when I get this college stuff knocked out so I can get a better job, I can find me a Dyna to fix up and I can hit the road!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I to am just waiting until i finish school and get a real job to get another bike, not sure what yet. I had a nighthawk 750 Honda for many years and loved it. Want to go the custom or Harley route next go around. With the kids going most places with me has been another reason on not getting one yet, but they are getting old enough to drive themselves now. Soon, it is going to happen. Good work on the blog,would love to have an extended family like that.

    ReplyDelete